The weather outside might be cold and somewhat unpredictable, but that doesn’t mean you can’t get out of the house and enjoy some winter activities in Indianapolis! If you’re starting to go stir crazy from being inside these past few months, grab your coat and head out to Indy. We’ve rounded up some great indoor places to visit and things to see while there’s still snow on the ground. No waiting for spring time necessary!
Things to do in Indianapolis this Winter
Indianapolis offers a variety of activities this winter that can be fun for old and young alike! Get out of the house and check out these Indianapolis attractions:
- Indiana State Museum: Located in White River State Park in downtown Indianapolis, this museum spans three floors of Core Galleries and tells the story of the Hoosier state. It features scientific, historical, art and cultural exhibits that showcase the unique history of the state of Indiana. The museum is open daily until 5 p.m.
- Garfield Park Conservatory and Sunken Gardens: Situated within the 136-acre Garfield Park on Indianapolis’ south side, the conservatory features year-round special exhibits and also offer lectures, workshops and gardening exhibits. Running until mid-February, the Dancing Waters show is unlike anything you’ve ever seen.
- Indianapolis Museum of Art: Displaying over 50,000 pieces of art from many periods and cultures in history, the 130-year-old Indianapolis Museum of Art is a must-visit for those who appreciate art and culture. It’s also a fun and educational experience for those young and old. The museum also offers film screenings, performances, classes and lectures, plus plenty of activities for the whole family to enjoy.
- Hilbert Circle Theatre: Located on Monument Circle, the Hilbert Circle Theater is home of the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra and is considered one of the most prestigious and historic venues in Indy. The theatre opened in 1916 as one of the nation’s first grand movie palaces. Its intimate setting and customized stage create an amazing venue for live performances. Valentine’s Day weekend, you can watch the classic movie Casablanca, set to a live orchestra.
- The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis: Grab the grandkids and get ready for a fun experience at the Children’s Museum of Indianapolis! You’ll find a variety of indoor activities to keep the kids’ minds off the cold weather outside. The museum covers 20 acres and it offers over 470,000 square feet of fun things for kids to participate in. They can ride a real carousel, touch a dinosaur bone or explore an Egyptian tomb!
- Indy Fuel Hockey Games: Going to a hockey game is a perfect sporting event for a cold winter’s day! The Fuel’s season lasts through March, with games held at the Pepsi Coliseum. Tickets are reasonably priced too, so gather the whole family and go cheer on the hockey team!
As you can see, Indianapolis offers plenty of possibilities to help you pass time and get through these cold winter days! These are just a few of the winter activities in Indianapolis you can enjoy while awaiting the warmer weather.
For more information about American Senior Communities, please visit www.ascseniorcare.com.