The 4th of July is almost here, which means fireworks, picnics, pool parties, parades, and other fun summer festivities. The tradition of celebrating our country’s independence on July 4th dates all the way back to the 18th century and the American Revolution. It’s considered one of our most important national holidays and a symbol of patriotism. Fun fact: did you know that there are 59 places in the United States with the word “liberty” in their names? But there’s only one state that has the word Patriot: Patriot, Indiana, a small town in Switzerland County along the Ohio River.
4th of July in Indianapolis
If you’re looking for some fun thing to do in Indianapolis this 4th of July, you’ll find a plethora of events and activities to enjoy. Here are just a few ways to celebrate the 4th of July in Indianapolis:
- 4th of July Picnic on Mass Ave: Enjoy a prime spot to view the fireworks display from the Regions Bank Tower on the 800 block of Massachusetts Avenue. You’ll be guaranteed a seat, as well as delicious food from Indiana’s famous Jug’s Catering Service. Also enjoy street performers, magicians, face painters and more! Fun for the whole family!
- INDYpendence Day on Georgia Street: The INDYpendence Day Concert for Cancer is back for a second year! Last year the event raised over $50,000 for the St. Francis Hospital Patience Assistance Fund and the Leukemia Lymphoma Society of Indiana. Enjoy a full day of music and fun, all for a good cause!
- Fountain Square Music Fest: In the days leading up to the 4th of July, enjoy free music on the Fountain Square plaza each evening from 6:30-8 p.m. On the 4th, twelve Indianapolis acts and national acts will play on stages between Prospect Avenue and Woodlawn Avenue. Music lovers don’t want to miss this!
- Firecracker Run/Walk 2015: Don your best patriotic outfit and lace up your running shoes for the 6th annual Firecracker 6-mile/6K Run/Walk through the streets of downtown Indianapolis. The event supports Hoosiers Helping Heroes, a nonprofit organization that prepares care packages for our troops overseas.
- Indianapolis Motor Speedway: The Rolling Stones will be stopping right here in Indy at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on July 4th as part of their 15-city North American tour! Get your tickets and head to the racing spot of the world for a night of music with Mick and the gang.
- Taste of Indy: If you’re hungry and looking for something to do the day after the 4th of July, this year’s Taste of Indy at White River State Park presents an amazing variety of food from local Asian, Greek, Mediterranean, American and Hispanic restaurants. There will also be live music and fun activities for the whole family to enjoy!
However you choose to spend this 4th of July in Indianapolis, all of us here at American Senior Communities wish you a fun and happy July 4th!
For more information about American Senior Communities, please visit http://www.ascseniorcare.com.