Once you’ve made the decision that your loved one’s needs would be better met in an assisted living community, with all the senior living choices available today, the undertaking of actually finding the right community might seem overwhelming. And finding the best assisted living community for your loved one isn’t a job that should be taken lightly.
It’s important to take your loved one’s individual needs and preferences into consideration when you begin your research. Assisted living communities offer a level of independence for their residents with the peace of mind that any assistance they may need with activities of daily living will be met. Residents will be provided amenities like housekeeping, transportation, meals and social events in a safe, secure environment.
How to Find Assisted Living for Your Loved One
The first step in choosing an assisted living community is to assess the needs of your loved one. Talk to your loved one about the type of community they would choose and learn which amenities are most important. Determine how much assistance they truly need so you can make an informed decision about the type of senior living option that will provide the correct level of care.
A few tips to find assisted living that meets your loved one’s needs include:
- Visit several communities. By visiting several assisted living communities, you’ll be able to get a good feel for the options that are most important to your loved one. Bring your loved one with you if possible, so they are a part of the decision-making process.
- Interact with the staff and residents. While visiting the community, talk to some of the staff as well as the residents. Determine whether the staff seems to genuinely care about the residents and that they take pride in their job. Ask some questions- like what’s the staff-to-resident ratio and if staff members are available around the clock. Also ask the residents about the types of social activities they enjoy. This way, your loved one will know if activities they enjoy are offered and if they’ll share common interests with their peers.
- Take note of the décor. The environment should feel home-like and comfortable. Ask to see the different types of suites. Each community will offer different features; some may have individual apartments with small kitchenettes and private bathrooms, while others offer shared rooms. Check out the storage spaces in the rooms, as well as things like whether there’s an individual thermostat and lots of natural lighting, all things that will make your loved one’s life more comfortable.
- Observe the safety features. Look for things like smoke detectors and sprinklers, secure entryways and emergency call systems. The grounds should be well lit and maintained, and the hallways should be wide enough for walkers and wheelchairs. Handrails should be available in the hallways, too, and grab bars in the bathrooms.
- Check out the activities schedule. Most assisted living communities today offer a comprehensive events and activities schedule to keep residents active and engaged in life. Whether your loved one is interested in fitness classes, planned outings or weekly card games, find out what amenities and activities are offered to residents so you can be sure your loved one will find something that matches their interests.
The most important factor is to know your loved one will feel safe, comfortable and at home in their new living arrangement.
For more information about American Senior Communities Assisted Living locations, please visit www.ascseniorcare.com/al.