Ways to Beat the Heat in Indy this SummerLifestyle & Activities for Seniors | July 16, 2015
Summer is heating up, which means you might be getting stir-crazy sitting inside your air conditioned home all day, trying to avoid the heat. But these warm months are a perfect time to check out some great summer attractions in Indianapolis!
There are even several free options available to give your wallet a break, so there’s no excuse to miss out on these awesome things to do in Indianapolis.
Fun Summer Attractions in Indianapolis
There are both indoor and outdoor attractions in Indianapolis to enjoy throughout the summer, so plan your visits accordingly! On a hot, humid day or a rainy day, enjoy the indoor attractions, and when we get a break from the heat take advantage of it by heading outdoors. After all, we made it through a long, cold winter just waiting for it to warm up, right?
Here are just a few ideas for things to do in Indianapolis over the summer:
- Visit one of the many museums. Get your fill of culture by touring some of the many museums in Indianapolis. The Children’s Museum is a top tourist attraction and features hands-on exhibits for kids of all ages. Other museums to check out include the Indiana State Museum, which tells the story of Indiana’s history, the Eiteljorg Museum that explores the art and culture of the American West, and the Indianapolis Museum of Art.
- Enjoy the downtown parks. Enjoy a lovely summer day by relaxing in one of the many downtown parks here in Indianapolis. There are over 200 park properties in Marion County alone, and they all offer an inexpensive way to spend some quality time with family or friends.
- Discover local art. The offers a self-guided tour of over 25 local galleries around the downtown area the first Friday of every month, called the First Friday Art Tour. Discover new local art at this free event every month!
- Walk or bike the cultural trail. The Indianapolis Cultural Trail is an eight-mile trail connecting neighborhoods, entertainment amenities and cultural districts while also serving as the downtown hub for central Indiana’s vast greenway system. Walk or bike along this beautiful trail through some of the most popular areas of downtown Indy.
- Browse around the Indianapolis City Market. The Indianapolis City Market is home to over 25 locally owned and operated small businesses, including the Original Farmers’ Market. The Market features retailers, wine and cheese shops, local eateries and a one-stop shop for fresh produce, meat, fish, dairy and baked goods.
- Head to an indoor beach. There may not be a lot of real beach options here in Indianapolis, but instead you can head to an indoor beach for some tropical fun! Caribbean Cove Hotel and Water Park, for example, offers 50,000 square feet of indoor water fun. It’s perfect for a rainy day!
- Wander through the Indianapolis Zoo. Who doesn’t love visiting the zoo during the summertime? The Indianapolis Zoo is one of the country’s finest. You’ll feel like you’re actually visiting the animals’ natural habitats, whether it be a lush green forest or the depths of the ocean. In fact, the Indy Zoo is the only institution to be an accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums as a zoo, aquarium and a botanical garden!
For more information about American Senior Communities, please visit https://asccare.com/.